Olwazzi means solid rock in Luganda. The foundation of Olwazzi Ministires is the solid rock of God's word.


Saturday, January 14, 2012

Learning Something New

The women of the village are AMAZING!!!! I am so impressed by their desire to help their families! While I was in Kamengo in December, I was able to spend an hour or so teaching the women a new skill. I was able to teach them how to make pillowcase dresses. This project had 2 purposes: to give the ladies items to sell in the craft market, and to give them a way to make clothing for their girls.

They worked so fast that they were able to make an entire dress, by hand, in less than an hour!!

I was also able to teach them how to hand applique. These appliques can be used as wall hangings, or to make decorative pillows, or to piece together to make quilts.


They can sell these items in the craft market in Kampala. No one is selling anything like this so they should have the corner on the market for about a week, LOL. Ugandans are very industrious and I'm sure their will others selling them soon.

I was also thrilled to see that they took what I was able to show them in such a short time and expand on it. These are some of their appliques that I got to see before I left. I never bothered to show them other stitches because there was no time. Once again I was blessed to see that they could take something so small that I had shown them and build it into something of their own.


I just love the eye and the grass they added!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment